Thanks to the City of Norwalk, Fire Marshal Chris Hansen, WO1T, and Fire Chief Denis McCarthy- GNARC has a new home.
We now have an official Club Station/Clubhouse located at the Norwalk Fire Dept. Maintenance facility.
Currently the front of the facility is vacant, and we will need to gather our resources together to make this a professional and functional club station and Emergency Operations Center. I am looking for volunteers who are interested in putting in many hours of effort to construct the station, erect the tower and antenna(s), assemble furniture and more. We may also need donations, as well as help moving items from various locations.
This is a very exciting opportunity for GNARC and the membership- and I am looking forward to getting on the air from this excellent location.
More updates to follow as things develop. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly (email address is on the member directory page).
Charles G. Lelievre, N1LLL
Please bear with me, I am making some changes to the site, so it looks a little odd for now. The content is still here! Paul
Meeting called to order by President Sam NV1P at 8:04pm.
-Charles N1LLL played a public service announcement promoting GNARC Field Day. It was recorded by one of the DJ’s at the radio station.
-New members/guests: Ed Whitley KC1BWE, Greg Smith KC1BWT Read More →
Meeting called to order by President Sam NV1P at 8:02pm. 19 people were in attendance.
Secretary’s report: A work party is needed to put the Norwalk Library’s “inverted V” antenna back together. All the materials have been obtained (Bamboo poles, concrete blocks, 200 ft of paracord). We are trying to contact radio personality Danny Lyons of WEBE108, to try and do a live radio spot to help advertise Field Day. A press release is forthcoming for FD.
Motion by George AB1QK to accept April’s minutes on GNARC’s website, seconded by Steve NA1SV. Read More →
Field day is coming up. June 28th and 29th 2014
See THIS PAGE for other field day info (same as the menu button above!)
This year we will be using an online sign up for field day. It is really simple and the instructions are below:
First, you need to go to the sign-up web site using this link: Sign up Form The form will open in a new window/tab so you can refer back to these instructions.
Just click the check box for any times you wish to sign up for. Please note that there are TWO things that happen at 8am:
1) We need at least 8 or 10 people at the container site where everything is stored to load the trailer and head to the field day site.
2) Some folks can head directly to the site and begin doing certain things. These people know who they are!
So please sign up for the “Storage Container Site” if you are not sure. It is also very helpful for a bunch of you to sign up for take down on Sunday. That is at the bottom of the list, don’t forget it. Thank you!
Then there are slots for actual radio operation. You will see the bands that are available for each hour. When you sign up PLEASE put down if you are planning to operate phone or CW. Please don’t be shy, we will help you if this is your first time operating.
Once you click the check boxes, at the BOTTOM of the page click the big red “Submit and Sign Up” button. This will take you to a page to enter your name and email address. You may opt to create an account, but this is not necessary! Just sign up!
If you have problems, or want to change your signup, please contact Paul WB2JVB and he will fix it.
- -Meeting called to order by President Sam NV1P at 8:00pm
- -There was a presentation of “The History of Hallicrafters” by Don Hudson KA1TZR
- -Motion by Dave Heiden N1TJG to approve secretary’s March minutes on the website, seconded by Jim KC1FB
- -Secretary’s report: For the June meeting only, GNARC will be back at Stop & Shop (385 CT Ave, Norwalk).
- -Half dozen Bamboo trees are on top of the Belden Ave library, for rebuilding the “inverted V” antenna, as well as 4 concrete blocks. Marty also said one of his YL friends’ ex-husbands was a HAM (last name is Gordon, unknown call). In December he died, & she’ll be in touch to help arrange for GNARC to get his gear.
- -Treasurer’s report: We’re “doing well”, including $600 rec’d from sale of equipment by Jay NE2Q. Renewal notices have gone out. Motion to accept (report): Paul WB2JVB, seconded by Steve K1RF.
- -Visitors/Guests: Brian Vetter N2KMX, Gary (no license………yet!!)
- -Old Business: none
- -New Business: Curt states he has new Maple firewood to be given away.
- -David Day N1DAY (from FARA) made a report about FARA’s activities.
- -Public Service: Sam states more bodies are needed for the annual tree festival, held at Cranbury Park (Gallagher Estate) on May 17th. There will also be a tree festival art exhibition from April 22nd , through May 6th, at the Gilbert & Bennett Cultural Center, 49 New St, Wilton, between 9:00am & 4:00pm, free to all.
- -On April 29th, there will be free Skywarn training at WestConn, in room 125 of the science building, midtown campus, 181 White St, Danbury, between 7:00pm – 9:30pm.
- -Sam announced Westport’s “Mini Maker Faire”, being held at the Westport Library, Jesup Rd, on April 26th. Volunteers are needed to help staff the booth, starting at 10:00am – 4:00pm.
- -Repeater: Curt W1FSM answered the question about “East” & “West” being heard on the 2 meter repeater. “East” indicates the main repeater, while “West” indicates the back-up repeater.
- -Motion to adjourn the meeting: Steve K1RF, seconded by Dee N1ZD at 9:15pm.
Martin KA1WBN Diamond GNARC Sec’y & PIO
On Wednesday, April 9th, Don Hudson, W1TZR, will be giving an illustrated presentation on the history of Hallicrafters, covering 1934 to 1978. He’s even bringing some of his own equipment to the presentation to give everyone an up close look. All are welcome to come to the meeting!
The meeting is held at our normal location, Norwalk Fire Headquarters 121 Connecticut Avenue. Park in the lot on the WEST side of the building, not on the side where the fire trucks exit!
Stamford Amateur Radio Association www.ctsara.org
Greater Fairfield Amateur Radio Association www.gfara.com
Greater Bridgeport Amateur Radio Club www.gbarc.net
Candlewood Amateur Radio Associaion www.cararadioclub.org
Please see the PDF below for the slides from the presentation.
Click here for PDF